Monday, September 23, 2019

I need to be daily kept!

I need to be daily kept!

(James Smith's autobiography, "Marvelous Mercy!" 1862)

The following is an excerpt from the diary of James Smith:

April 16, 1854.

During the past week, I have had one of the most severe asthmatic attacks I ever experienced. How painful to labor and gasp for breath, as I then did. How different the things of time appear under such circumstances! How soon one feels willing to spread the wings and fly away. May I daily live under the impression I then felt.

How I long . . .

  for closer communion with God,
  to feel more of the sweet power of piety in my own heart,
  to walk with God in confidence,
  to lean upon Him,
  to cast every care upon Him,
  to leave everything with Him,
  to aim always, and in everything to glorify Him,
  to walk through the world as if one was walking straight home to God--to dwell with and to enjoy Him forever!

Yet I feel that I need to be daily kept--to have the Lord's eye constantly upon me, and His everlasting arms always beneath me!
"Hold me up--and I shall be safe!"
Psalm 119:117

[Received this in an email from Grace Gems. It really speaks to the prayer of my heart as well although I have not experienced the pain that James Smith must have felt. I add to this John's prayer, "Even so Lord Jesus come!!"]

No comments:

Post a Comment