Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Special Words for the Season



[Float your cursor over the Scriptures and the verse will open in a pop-up.]

Allen C. Myers, in the Eerdmans Bible Dictionary has given the traditional order of the seven recorded “words” of Christ from the Cross as:

(1) “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34),

(2) to one of those being crucified with him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43),

(3) to Mary his mother and “the disciple whom he loved,” “Woman, behold, your son” and “Behold, your mother” (John 19:26–27),

(4) “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” (Matt. 27:46 par. Mark 15:34),

(5) “I thirst” (John 19:28),

(6) “It is finished” (John 19:30), and

(7) “Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46)

All of this He suffered for sinners. He was manifesting what Paul said in Romans 5:8. What a gracious Savior is He.

At Calvary  --  by William R. Newell, 1895



No comments:

Post a Comment