Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Our Wonderful Savior

He's a Wonderful Savior to Me

I was reading a blog by Nathan Busenitz entitled Controversies and Christmas and was struck by this quote from both Spurgeon and Augustine. So, I want to share them here and hope they bless you as much as they did me. As I thought of them I thought of an old song we used to sing that is not in most of our hymnals today. I share the words at the conclusion of the quote. Hope you are blessed as you think upon these words these great men of the past had to say about our Savior.

"As Charles Spurgeon wrote regarding the incarnation: “Man became royal when Christ became human. Man was exalted when Christ was humiliated. Man may go up to God now that God has come down to man.”

"Commenting on that same glorious reality, the church father Augustine left us with these eloquent words:
“The Word of the Father, by whom all time was created, was made flesh and was born in time for us. He, without whose divine permission no day completes its course, selected one day for His human birth. . . .
“The Maker of man became man that He, Ruler of the stars, might be weaned as an infant; that He, the Bread, might be hungry; that He, the Fountain, might thirst; that He, the Light, might sleep; that He, the Way, might be wearied by the journey; that He, the Truth, might be accused by false witnesses; that He, the Judge of the living and the dead, might be brought to trial by a mortal judge; that He, Justice, might be condemned by the unjust; that He, Discipline, might be scourged with whips; that He, the Foundation, might be suspended upon a cross; . . . that He, the Life might die.
“To endure these and similar indignities for us, to free us, unworthy creatures, He who existed as the Son of God before all ages, without a beginning, chose to become the Son of Man in these recent years. He did this although He who was subjected to such great evils for our sake had done no evil and although we, who were the recipients of so much good at His hands, had done nothing to merit these benefits."
— Spurgeon and Augustine as quoted by Nathan Busenitz “Controversies and Christmas”


I was lost in sin, but Jesus rescued me,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me;
I was bound by fear, but Jesus set me free,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.
He’s a friend so true, so patient and so kind,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me;
Everything I need in Him I always find,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.
He is always near to comfort and to cheer,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me;
He forgives my sins, He dries my every tear,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.
Dearer grows the love of Jesus day by day,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.
Sweeter is His grace while pressing on my way,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.
Refrain
For He’s a wonderful Savior to me,
He’s a wonderful Savior to me;
I was lost in sin, but Jesus took me in:
He’s a wonderful Savior to me.

--Virgil P. Brock


No comments:

Post a Comment